Office: GANT 157
Phone: (860) 486-0915
- PhD in Material Science, University of Connecticut, 2002
- MS in Condensed Matter Physics, Tongji University, 1995
- BS in Applied Physics, Tongji University, 1992
- Site Director of NSF Center for Novel High Voltage/Temperature Materials and Structures (NSF HVT) , 2017-
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 2018-
- Director of Electrical Insulation Research Center, Institute of Materials Science, University of Connecticut, 2013-
- Associate Professor, University of Connecticut, 2013-
- Senior Electrical Engineer, GE Global Research Center, 2002-2013
- High voltage engineering
- Flexible electronics
- Protection and Grid asset management
MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECTS
- MURI, Tracking, Diagnosing and Impeding Dielectric Breakdown in Polymers, Co-PI, 8/1/2017-7/31/2022. https://muri.ims.uconn.edu
- NSF Phase I i/UCRC University of Connecticut Site: Center for Novel High Voltage/Temperature Materials and Structures (HVT), Site Director, 2/1/2017 – http://www.hvtcenter.org
- GE, Arc Interruption Gas Dynamics, PI, 9/1/2013-12/30/2018
- ONR DURIP (N00014-16-1-2885), PI, 7/15/2016-10/14/2018
- ONR “High Field Aging” (N00014-16-R-BA01), Co-PI, 7/1/2016-12/31/2018
- ARL “Nanocoating” (W911NF-16-2-0146), PI, 8/23/2016-12/22/2016
- ONR “Propulsion Insulation” (N00014-15-1-2413), PI, 5/15/2015-5/14/2019
- EPR Cable Consortium, PI, 1/1/1998-12/30/2018
- ONR MURI “Capacitors” (DOD00014-10-1-0944), Co-PI, 10/1/2010-9/30/2016
- DOE “Wet-Mate DC Connector”, Co-PI, 9/1/2014-6/30-2016
- DOE “DC Cabling” (DE-AR0000231), PI, 1/22/2012- 2/28/2014
HONORS & SERVICE ACTIVITIES
- Professional: IEEE Senior Member
- Research: GE Technical Career Award (2013), GE Technical Achievement Award (2011), GE Innovation Award (2010)
- Service: Guest Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation (2015); Member of Technical Program Committee, IEEE Dielectric and Electrical Insulation Society 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS & PATENTS
- Ghassemi, Y. Cao, Q. Chen, “A Thermo-Electrodynamic Electric Field Dependent Molecular Ionization Model to Design Electrical Insulation System of HVDC Wet-Mate Connectors
under Transient Conditions”, IEEE Transactions on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, accepted for publication, 2018.
- Boya Zhang; Nenad Uzelac; Yang Cao, “Fluoronitrile/CO2 Mixture as an eco-friendly alternative to SF6 for medium voltage switchgears”, IEEE Transactions on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, accepted for publication, 2018.
- Shamima Nasreen, Gregory M. Treich, Matthew L. Baczkowski, Arun K. Mannodi-Kanakkithodi, Yang Cao, Ramamurthy Ramprasad, Gregory Sotzing, “Polymer Dielectrics for Capacitor Application”, Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, Published Online: 15 DEC 2017, DOI: 10.1002/0471238961.koe00036
- S. Gupta, I. Offenbach, J. Ronzello, Y. Cao, S. Boggs, R.A. Weiss and M. Cakmak, “Evaluation of Poly(4-methyl-1-pentene) as a Dielectric Capacitor Film for High Temperature Energy Storage Applications”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol.55, pp. 1497-1515, 2017.
- Hiroaki Uehara, Zongze Li, Qin Chen, Gian Carlo Montanari,and Yang Cao, “Space Charge Behavior under Thermal Gradient in Cross-linked Polyethylene and Ethylene-propylene Rubber”, Sensors and Materials, Vol.29, No (8), pp.1199-1212, 2017.
- M. Ghassemi, Q. Chen, Y. Cao, “The Influence of Magnitude and Rise Time of Applied Voltage and the Type of Oil on Streamer Growth in a Wet-Mate DC Connector”, IEEE Transactions on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 24, Issue 3, pp. 1646-1656, June 2017.
- M. Ghassemi, M.B. Tefferi, Q. Chen, Y. Cao, “A Thermo-Electrodynamic Electric Field Dependent Molecular Ionization Model to Realize Positive Streamer Propagation in a Wet-Mate DC Connector”, IEEE Transactions on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 24, Issue 2, pp. 901-914, April 2017.
- Gregory M. Treich, Mattewos Tefferi, Shamima Nasreen, Arun Mannodi-Kanakkithodi, Zongze Li, Rampi Ramprasad, Gregory A. Sotzing and Yang Cao, “A Rational Co-Design Approach to the Creation of New Dielectric Polymers with High Energy Density”, IEEE Transactions on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 24, Issue 2, pp. 732-743, April 2017.
- Z.Z Li, C.C. Xu, H. Uehara, S.A. Boggs, Y. Cao, “Transient characterization of extreme field conduction in dielectrics”, AIP Advances, 6, 115025, 2016.
- Bogdan Neculaes, Antonio Caiafa, Yang Cao, Bruno De Man, Peter M. Edic, Kristopher Frutschy, Satish Gunturi, Lou Inzinna, Joseph Reynolds, Mark Vermilyea, David Wagner, Xi Zhang, Yun Zou, Norbert J. Pelc, and Brian Lounsberry, “Multisource inverse-geometry CT. Part II. X-ray source design and prototype” Medical Physics 43, 4617 (2016)
- Gregory Martin Treich, Shamima Nasreen, Arun Mannodi-Kanakkithodi, Rui Ma, Mattewos Tefferi, James Flynn, Yang Cao, Rampi Ramprasad, and Gregory Allen Sotzing, “Optimization of Organotin Polymers for Dielectric Applications” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.6b04091
- P. Cox, R. Fleming, F. Krajick, S. Boggs, Y. Cao, “AC and Impulse Performance of Medium Voltage Ethylene Propylene– Rubber Cables With Over 25 Years of In-Service Aging in a Wet Underground Environment”, IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 32, No.3, pp23-27,2016
- Arun Mannodi-Kanakkithod , G.M. Treich, T.D. Huan, R. Ma, M. Tefferi, Y. Cao, G.A. Sotzing, R.Ramprasad, “Rational Co-Design of Polymer Dielectrics for Energy Storage”, Advanced Materials, DOI: 10.1002/ adma.201600377, 2016
- G.A. Sotzing, Y. Cao, “Fabric sensor, method of making the fabric sensor, and applications thereof”, US Patent App. 15/135,895, 4/22/2016.
- US Patent 9,390,857, Issued on July 12, 2016, Film Capacitor
- US Patent 9,293,972, Issued on March 22, 2016, Apparatus for forming insulation for electrical components
- A. F. Baldwin, T. D. Huan, R. Ma, A. M. Kanakkithodi, M. Tefferi, J. E. Marszalek, N. Katz, Y. Cao, R. Ramprasad, GA. Sotzing “Rational Design of Organotin Polyesters”, Macromolecules, 2015, 48 (8), pp 2422–2428
- A. F. Baldwin, R. Ma, A. M. Kanakkithodi, T. D. Huan, C. C. Wang, M. Tefferi, J. E. Marszalek, M. Cakmak, Y. Cao, R. Ramprasad, GA. Sotzing “Poly(dimethyltin glutarate) as a Prospective Material for Dielectric Applications”, Advanced Materials, 27, 347-351, 2015.
- Q.M. Zhang, M. Yu, Y. Cao, “Electrets and Related Phenomena”, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp.1335-1336, 2015.
- US Patent 8,928,441, Issued on January 6, 2015, Liquid cooled magnetic component with indirect cooling for high frequency and high power applications
- G. Sotzing, Y. Cao, “A FABRIC SENSOR, METHOD OF MAKING THE FABRIC SENSOR, AND APPLICATIONS THEREOF”, U.S. Provisional Application No. 62/151,623, April 23, 2015