David A. Tonn
David A. Tonn
Dr. Dave Tonn is an Senior Research Engineer with a major defense laboratory in the area. He is a noted expert in antenna design and antenna measurement physics in the presence of the air-sea interface. His research interests include maritime antennas, antenna measurement methods, electromagnetic metamaterials for antenna applications, genetic algorithms in electromagnetics, very low frequency antennas and circuits, radio frequency (RF) electronics and instrumentation, and measurement instrumentation for RF devices.
Professional Activities :
- Senior Member, Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (AMTA)
- Technical Reviewer, Progress in Electromagnetics Research (PIER), Int’l Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, and several other journals
- Vice Chairman, AMTA 2005 Symposium Host Committee
- UCONN Excellence in Teaching Award, 2012-13 Academic Year
- 2013 IEEE Harry Diamond Memorial Award
- NUWC Newport Excellence in Technical Innovation Award Winner, 2009 and 2002.
- NUWC Newport Excellence in Basic and Applied Research Award Winner, 2016.
- NUWC Newport Excellence in Engineering Prototyping and Testing Award, 2017.
- Currently holds twenty-five United States patents, with several others pending.
Recent Publications :
- T. Bolton, S. Davis, P. Medeiros, P. Mileski, D. Tonn, and I. Wheeler, “Approach for VHF Gain Measurements over Seawater”, Proc. of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (AMTA 2012), Bellvue, WA, October 2012.
- D. Tonn and P. Mileski, “A Novel In-Water Current Probe Measurement Method for Linear Floating Antennas” Proc. Of the 32nd Annual Meeting of the Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (AMTA ‘10), Atlanta, GA October 2010.
- D. Tonn and R. Bansal, “Design of a metamaterial-based linear insulated antenna using a genetic algorithm’, Intl. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 1, pages 39–49, January 2009.
- J. Casey, S. Davis, B. Greenhalgh, R. Gudz, P. Mileski, P. Medeiros, D. Tonn, H. Waka, and I. Wheeler, “Considerations For VHF Gain Measurements Over Seawater” Proc. Of the 30th Annual Meeting of the Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (AMTA ‘08), Boston, MA, November 2008.
- D. Tonn, “Accurate Measurement of Dielectric Constant by Means of a Simple Waveguide Fixture”, Proc. Of the 29th Annual Meeting of the Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (AMTA ‘07), St. Louis, MO, November 2007. · D. Tonn, and R. Bansal, “Reduction of Sidelobe Levels in Interrupted Phased Array Antennas by Means of a Genetic Algorithm”, Intl. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 2, March 2007, pp. 134-141.
- D. Tonn and P. Mileski, “Surface Impedance Modeling of an Outdoor Groundwave Antenna Range with a Non-Uniform Groundplane”, Proc. Of the 28th Annual Meeting of the Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (AMTA ‘06), Austin, TX, October 2006.
- D. Tonn and R. Bansal, “Insulated antenna with metamaterial coating operating in lossy medium” , Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 9, 27 April 2006, pp. 505-506.
- D. Tonn and R. Bansal, “Practical Considerations for Increasing Radiated Power from an Electrically Small Antenna by Application of a Double Negative Metamaterial”, IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Proceedings, APS-2005, Washington, DC, July 2005.
- D. Tonn, P. Mileski, F. Plonski, P. Rush, W. Ailes, “Measurement Method for Characterizing VHF Antennas over an Open Ocean Groundplane”, Proc. Of the 27th Annual Meeting of the Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (AMTA ‘05), Newport, RI, October 2005.
Selected Patents :
8,593,355: Reconfigurable buoyant cable antenna with improved gain
8,446,325: Hybrid cable antenna for high frequency band
8,242,626: Magneto-electric method and apparatus for remote powering on the hull of an underwater vehicle
8,203,495: Modular VLF/LF and HF buoyant cable antenna and method
7,868,833: Ultra wideband buoyant cable antenna element
7,649,283 : Inductive Coupling Method for Remote Powering of Sensors (with P. Medeiros)
7,429,957 : Wideband Floating Wire Antenna using a Double Negative Metamaterial
7,307,590 : Wideband Traveling-wave Microstrip Antenna
7,288,944 : Evanescent Waveguide Apparatus and Method for Measurement of Dielectric Constant