Electronics/Photonics/Biophotonics General Exams
Contact Dr. Helena Silva for more information
Approved by the Electronics/Photonics/Biophotonics division in Spring 2014
- The general exams will be given twice per year (January and May), in general, during the same week as the Systems general exams.
- Written Exams will be required on 6 courses (PhD) or 3 courses (MS-Plan B) from the courses/areas listed below. General Exams may not be taken on independent study courses.
- Exams will be closed books / closed notes / no computers, phones, etc.
- There will be an oral component of the general exam (typically as part of the prospectus defense).
- An average score of at least 70% will be required for passing the written exams taken by a student (exact passing score is instructor’s decision depending upon exam difficulty).
- Ph.D. Students will be required to finish their exams within their first 6 semesters.
- Students will have only 2 attempts to pass their exams. The student needs to repeat only the failed exams.
- Students will have to take the exams either all at the same time or in blocks of three courses at a time.
Courses/Areas for non-track-specific Electronics/Photonics/Biophotonics Exams
A student will select the 3 (MS) or 6 (PhD) courses for the written exams in consultation with his/her advisory committee. For both MS and PhD exams, at least one course each should be chosen from each area.
AREA ONE: EM/Photonics (choose at least one course)
- ECE 5201: Electromagnetic Wave Propagation / Bansal
- ECE 5231: Fundamentals of Photonics / Taylor
AREA TWO: Semiconductor/Optoelectronic devices (choose at least one course)
GROUP 2.A (intended primarily for electronics/photonics students)
- ECE 5211: Semiconductor Devices and Models / Ayers, Anwar
- ECE 6222: Advanced Semiconductor Devices / Donkor
- ECE 5225 Electron Device Design and Characterization / Gokirmak
- ECE 5212: Fundamentals of Optoelectronic Devices / Jain
- ECE 5232: Optoelectronic Devices/ Taylor
OR GROUP 2.B (intended primarily for Bio-Photonics students: exam format determined by the instructor)
- ECE 5101: Introductions to Systems Theory/ Luh
- ECE 6111: Applied Probability and Stochastic Process/ Pattipati
- ECE 6122: Digital Signal Processing/ Willett
- ECE 6439: Estimation and Filter Theory/ Bar-Shalom
- ECE 6121: Advanced Signal Processing/ Willett
- ECE 6125: Digital Image Processing/Javidi
- ECE/BME 6143: Image Recognition/Javidi
- BME 5210: Biomedical Optics/ Zhu
AREA THREE: Applications (choose at least one course)
- ECE 6243: Nanotechnology/ Jain
- ECE 5223: Nanophotonics/ Donkor
- ECE 6242: VLSI Fabrication Principles/ Ayerr
- ECE 6211: Antenna Theory and Applications / Bansal
- ECE 6212: Microwave Techniques / Bansal
- ECE/BME 6126: Optics for Biomedical Engineers/ Javidi
- BME 6420 Medical Imaging Systems/ Zhu
- ECE 6421 Advanced VLSI Design / Wang
- ECE 6095 Special Topics: Memory Devices and Technology / Silva
- ECE 6095 Special Topics: Solar Photovoltaic Energy Conversion / Bazzi
- ECE 6095 Special Topics: Metamaterials/Tonn